Job role: Driver – UK Defence
Job Type: Full-time.
Country: United Kingdom.
- Life Cover.
- Access to a wide range of discounts and offers via the Perkz reward scheme
- Recognition awards linked to our UTAC values of Expertise, Innovation, and Integrity.
- Healthcare cashback plans.
- Generous holiday benefits.
- Contributory pension schemes.
- Attractive family-friendly policies; maternity, paternity, shared parental leave, flexible working.
- Access to a variety of employee assistance support services.
About the Job.
Working on vehicle-based military tests alongside a range of customers within a small dedicated team of engineers and technicians, you will prepare vehicles for the test, including mechanical work, fitment of instrumentation, and test management.
You will conduct track and chamber based vehicle tests to define procedures and offer feedback and technical guidance.
Interaction with other test groups both within the proving ground and at other locations within the UK will be key, as is your ability to think outside the box to ensure tests are completed under challenging conditions.
This role will work in partnership with a test engineer to deliver tests autonomously.
- Own practical delivery of tests – managing test plan delivery and taking control of others involved in the tests.
- Prepare vehicles for track tests by fitting data logging equipment, sensors, cameras, and other test equipment such as brake valves, fuel meters, etc.
- To set up the test vehicles by spec checking and setting (e.g. tire pressures etc.), and installing test ballast as required.
- To drive the vehicle to the required procedures on the various track facilities.
- To collect and record test data from the measurement or data acquisition equipment, including checking and basic data analysis.
- To report test results to the test engineer in a neat and timely manner.
- To work side by side with customers users and/or the approval authority during tests as required.
- May be given specific responsibility for certain items of laboratory/workshop equipment.
- Undertake analysis of results, including statements of conformity or opinions and interpretations.
- To report, review, and provide authorization of results vs. requirements.
- Act by the behaviors of UTAC staff at all times.
- Hold a full UK driving license.
- Experience in driving large wheeled or tracked vehicles (e.g. C, CE, H) is desirable.
- Computer literate, and confidant with Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Relevant technical training or experience in the workplace covering vehicle mechanics, electronics, and or testing methods (desirable).
- Vehicle testing (on track or road) (desirable).
- Vehicle mechanical rework/fault diagnosis (essential).
- Electronics and circuitry, soldering/wiring (essential).
- Knowledge of sensor types and their operation principles (essential).
- Military vehicle knowledge (desirable).
- Vehicle network systems – CAN, FlexRay, LIN, etc. (beneficial).